The Pelinaion was a Greek steamer, built in 1907 in Port Glasgow. At 385 feet long and with a displacement of nearly 4300 tons, she was known by several names as she went through different companies. On 22 December 1939, the Pelinaion left West Africa carrying manganese ore heading for Baltimore. However, as it was during WWII, the St David's lighthouse had been blacked out, and in a feat of military intelligence, no ships could be told this. By January 16 1940, the Pelinaion entered Bermudan waters and hit strong currents. Despite carrying an experienced captain, the Pelinaion ran aground and was wrecked. Part of her now sits straddled across two reefs, and so it is possible to actually swim under the wreck itself.
Choose a dive date below to go to the photographs taken on that date.
13 March 2006
22 April 2006
21 May 2006
02 July 2006